Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Monday, May 7

Warrior Dash!

 Earlier this year our friend Jarrod started convincing us that we needed to do the Warrior Dash.  I wasn't sure I was ready or able to do it but after Zach decided to do it and then my sis-in-law Alicia was in, I couldn't wimp out!  Not to mention I made a resolution this year to challenge myself fitness-wise and step out of my comfort zone.....

I think swimming over logs in muddy ponds, crawling under barbed wire through trenches, scaling walls with a single rope, climbing a rock wall slathered in mud, running through miles of mud, walking planks high off the ground, running through tires, maneuvering across a rope web and jumping through fire to finish all qualifies as "stepping out of my comfort zone".

Pre-race with our fans (aka the family) Although it was April 21st, it was a bitter 55ish degrees that morning.
We awoke to a cold, overcast day.  Not my ideal conditions for being soaking wet but we didn't let that stop us and at 2pm the gun fired and we were off.  The course was a 5k loaded with mud and the obstacles mentioned above. You can ask Z and A...I was so nervous leading up to the start.  I had hurt my ankle the prior week running so I was scared to death I was going to injure myself worse or even worse not be able to finish...haha.  Once the adrenaline started flowing, I was cool as a cucumber. As Alicia and I battled the course we joked that Cory would probably find the challenge easy as pie in fact it would just be another day at the office (aka Marine Corps) for him.

It was a great experience and we are already planning our next Warrior adventure.  The day was so much fun, Gary & Elaine (Alicia's parents) and the Ross Monkeys (Nathan, Nolan, Neely and Nora Kate) all came out to the battlefield to cheer us on and eat turkey legs with us.  We celebrated with the family over a fabulous Mexican dinner and yogurt of course.

I told Zach I am going to hang the official race picture in Austin's room...I'm leaping over fire with my hands straight in the air and a wild grin on my face...so when he is a teenager and thinks his mommy is so lame that picture will remind him of just how cool I am!

Before the mud (and freezing)

 Post-mud and VICTORIOUS!

Jumping the flames 

My sidekick Neely!

No comments: