Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Monday, May 2

Weekend in God's Country

What a beautiful weekend to head up to Oxford with some of my favorite girls. The weekend started off at Laura's with Tivo'd coverage of the Royal Wedding accompanied by Tea & Crumpets. By "tea" I mean Skinny Girl Margaritas for them and crystal light for me and by "crumpets" I mean cookies! I wish I had pictures of us Friday night as we greeted Lisha at the Jackson Airport terminal wearing feathery mesh hats in honor of the 22 page wedding etiquette guide ....hat's highly encouraged. I think some people at the airport thought we were on a field trip from the loony house but when we all get together we don't seem to mind what anyone might be thinking! Then it was off to Oxford on the most gorgeous day, 75 degrees and sunny.
The square greeted us with the sounds of live bands and the smell of BBQ, Fried Catfish, and funnel cakes. We made our way to City Grocery where the girls had a baby shower and lunch planned. The shrimp and grits were amazing but nothing in comparison to the company of my girls. They showered me with awesome gifts for Austin and then we hit the square for shopping. I picked up this Larry Wamble print for Austin's bathroom. This artist is special to us and the Oxford print is hanging in our guest room and we gave the College Station print to Cory for his A&M graduation. I picked up a few other pieces of art and then we headed to Frank and Marlee's to sit on the deck and enjoy the day.
It was such a fabulous weekend filled with amazing food, side cramping belly laughs, and some much needed girl time. It was so hard to say goodbye to my girls and think that the next time I see all of them life will be very different- I'll be a mommy. As Farris Bueller says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." I am so grateful for weekends like this because as the years go by they are harder and harder to come by. The 8 of us are spread out over 6 states however when we get together it's like a day hasn't passed and we all fall back into finishing each others sentences. We missed Meghan, Kathryn, and Laura who are spread all over the country and couldn't make it. Kathryn was supposed to come but she gave us a pretty legit excuse, she lost everything including the diaper cake in Tuscaloosa's F5 Tornado. Our thoughts and prayers have been going out to her and Alex as they try to start over. This is her house and car after the storm, it's hard to believe it until you see the pics. We are so glad they are alive!She sent me this picture of what the diaper cake looked like pre-tornado....
And here it is after the tornado...We thought the weekend couldn't get any better until I returned home to see the news of Bin Laden. Not that is what I call a PERFECT weekend!



1 comment:

"McShane" said...

Glad to hear Kathryn & family are okay. . . although the picture of their house is devastating. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help them out & give them love from the DeFrehns!

PS: Glad you had a great weekend!!