Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Monday, January 14

All the lil' Sicklings

Last week we had a full on war with immune systems and the Jexes were not victorious as we went 3 for 3 with a variety of things.
After getting his blood taken- poor baby.

Patient #1: Austin had been fighting a runny nose and cough right before Christmas and last week it finally got to the point where I started to worry it might be something more.  After a flu test and a lengthy dr. appt on Monday he ended up just having a cold.  Thank goodness we have still not had to experience a flu or an ear infection.  We treated with a daily dose of Claritin and weaned off the Cold Medicine but Friday morning he spiked a fever at Mom’s house and was not acting at all like his normal playful self and spent the majority of the day snuggled up on mom in-and-out of sleep.  His fever got worse so Zach and I took him to the after-hours clinic after work.  I was convinced the fever, shallow panting breaths, and sinus drainage meant flu or pneumonia from what other parents were experiencing. After tests and blood-work they said he was fighting a virus- not the flu but one of the 3 billion other things going around right now.  I was so relieved- we continued Claritin and doses of Motrin and Tylenol and by Saturday noon he was fever-free and acting completely normal.  Kids are so resilient. (sorry for all the details but this is how I remember what he had/how we treated so when baby #2 comes along and I have no memory, my blog will help me function as a mother.)

Patient #2:  I can’t remember if/when Zach has ever taken a sick day from work.  He got hit by the sick train and was laid up in bed for 2 full days.  Not sure if it was a severe cold or something more like the flu (since he doesn't believe in going to Drs) but my lil’ sickling was pitiful.  I had two sick boys and life consisted of a lot of medicine, electrolytes, and chicken-noodle-soup.  But since I am the MOM and made of stone I thought I would be the fine and make it through the week unscathed.  No such luck, by Wednesday we had the next victim…

Patient #3: ME L Just a cold but I was so achy and lacked any energy.  I couldn't take time off work since I had too much going on and I needed to save the days for maternity leave so I sat in my office as pitiful as they come, working my way through 2 boxes of tissues and almost blacking out one time (repeat of Austin’s pregnancy).  Oh and I got to end the weekend with the return of 2 days of morning sickness...not cool!

But it looks like we are all back to 100% and I pray that lasts a while.

No comments: