Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Monday, November 5

I couldn’t have asked for a sweeter son!

Zach and I have been left speechless by our little guy recently.  It seemed like right around the time we found out we were expecting, Austin discovered his attitude and it was wearing me out.  I asked a lot of close friends how they handled it and my favorite response came from my BF Lisha when I asked my if she read any good books on disciplining…she replied “The Bible”.  I told her that was a long read I was on a short timeline with this kid.  I think after learning his queues and implementing “time out” we have gotten a pretty good handle on him acting out.  The key was to just not pay attention when he did it.

But back to us being speechless-  lately it hasn’t stemmed from frustration, but instead love.

Austin has been so loving lately.  And not prompted loving like “give mommy a kiss”, totally voluntary and spontaneous sweetness.  He has always been a sweet little boy that outwardly shows affection for “his peeps” but lately he is just an uncontrollable love bug.  Last night I just stubbed my toes really hard on one of the kitchen barstool and knelt to ground to rub the pain out and said "ouch" a few times. Austin was playing in the pantry and he stopped playing, walked over to me, wrapped his sweet little arms around my neck….hugging me while saying "owww", and then sat on the knee I had bended.  He just sat there like he was there if I needed him but he was just waiting for mommy to get better. It was the sweetest moment imaginable!  I totally forgot about the pain and just hugged the little guy as my mommy heart just melting inside me.

This morning and last he gets up earlier than normal (thanks time change) and since it’s too early to get moving we all just lay there and he is a little snuggle bug. He lays his head on the pillow next to yours and looks at you and he sometimes will reach over and hold the sides of my face and smile like he is studying me.  {insert mommy heart melt, again}.

Last night he leaned over, took his paci out and gave Zach a kiss…not once but twice.  Yeah daddy was jello after that one. 

Oh and one more sweet little thing he does.  Every night after he brushes his teeth (his favorite thing ever), he insists we go to his shelf and kiss all his figurines good night.  Zach had the characters from Lion King in a box of his childhood toys and they are too small for Austin to play with so they sit on the book shelf.  He takes each character off the shelf and kisses it, then puts it back on the shelf and reaches for the next one.  Then we take the Wise Men snow globe, shake the snow and kiss the Wise Men goodnight. Then we put him in the crib and he picks up his plush Ducky and gives him a big hug before rolling over to go to sleep.  I love his gentle and sweet nature and his calm nighttime routine! And I feel very lucky he makes it so easy on us. 

We often discuss how we will ever be able to get mad at him because he is so sweet and cute. 

No comments: