Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Friday, September 9

Colorful creations


So lately I have been getting really creative for party gifts. I think partly because the nesting has not worn off at all and partly because it's much easier for me to make something at home then to find time and a babysitter to go shopping.

2 weeks ago, mom and I joined forces and made burp clothes for a few of my new mommy friends and I got to blow the dust of my embroidery machine and put it back into action. We just took cloth diapers, patterned fabrics and some cute trims and voila! I found myself searching Austin's room for articles of clothing I could monogram but had to restrain myself so if we have another boy one day we won't have use the same initials just so he can wear all of Austin's clothes.

Here are some of the finished products:
This week I was pondering what to buy our friends sweet little girl who is turning two. She is an adorable towhead with lots of energy and a great imagination, not to mention she got a cute little play kitchen for Christmas. Sounds like a kid I once knew...or a kid I once was. I would play kitchen/restaurant/country store for HOURS at Grandma Marilyn and Papa Stan's house and I would go to the living room and take everyone's orders (thanks Uncle Tim for teaching me all the cool restaurant abbreviations from your waiter days...like H20 for water) then I would go to the back room and fill the orders. Oh how I loved it! Especially since Grandma and Papa's house had a half door that I used as the pick-up window and a dinner bell I used when the "order was up".

That leads me into my next creation: an apron! I took bright colored coordinating fabric in bold prints and made a sweet new accessory for Miss Jane. I just love mixing and matching bold patterns. If I had more time (and skill) I wanted to do a patchwork apron of all different patterns but that will have to come later in my more experienced sewing days.

Here is Jane's apron complete with a pocket for her crayon and her REAL order pad I snagged at Office Depot. Happy cooking. Oh and it's reversible in case she doesn't want to use to pocket.




3 comments:

"McShane" said...

Okay, Hunter is getting a play kitchen for her birthday later this month and now one of the grandmother's is going to have to make her an apron (because there is too much on my list before her birthday to do it myself). . .

Ross Monkeys said...

So Neely...your twin....loves to take her clipboard around take orders, use fake food and kitchen to prepare order, and use monopoly money and cash register for payment... You two are so alike!!!

Tay and Teigan said...

I go a little crazy with my embroidery machine too! There's just something about initials and monograms that I can not get enough of :). I'm loving your pictures and that sweet baby boy of yours. I'm sure you are the most loving mom! Life is grand, isn't it?