Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Wednesday, May 22

Kinda comical...

I say this situation was kinda comical because the only thing I could do to keep from crying was to laugh.  The 2nd and 3rd weeks of Madeline's life was nowhere near as easy as the first.  A week after we got home from the hospital she started to produce a lot of mucus in her eyes and it ended up being a bacterial infection that was contagious like pink eye....and I was the first to catch it from her because the whole time I thought she had clogged tear ducts and I was massaging them daily.  Mine wasn't bad at all and after 2 days with eye drops my eyes cleared up but her poor eyes took 11 days to clear up and 2 different prescription creams... it was the saddest thing.  She went a few days where she wouldn't open her eyes because they were pretty much glued together.  Then around day 4 of her eye infection we noticed a rash on Austin's feet.  We thought he might be having a reaction from playing in the grass but for some reason I called the doctor right away to make an appointment.  With a newborn in the house I didn't want to take any chances.  Sure enough it was Hand Mouth Foot which is a very contagious virus between children and they said it would be very bad if Madeline got it because if she developed ulcers in her mouth like Austin did, she might stop nursing and this is a crucial weight gaining period for a newborn.  The same week Zach fractured his wrist and hurt his ankle.  Oh, I am not done.  Mom, who usually bales me out of situations like this, came down with bronchitis and couldn't be around the kids at all. We spent a little over a week running around making sure nothing Austin touched or slobbered on came in contact with Madeline and nothing that touched Madeline's eyes came in contact with anyone.  I have never washed my hands so often in my life and I literally washed the skin raw on my hands.  Combined with my hormonal roller coaster, I was on edge.  But the only way to go from there was UP...and that we did!

I wish I could get a do-over for the time we lost being sick and cooped up in the house but hey that is life with kids. I am just glad it happened while I was in maternity leave so I was able to stay home with them.

1 comment:

Phil and Beki said...

Both our oldest got HFM a few weeks after Madison was born - it was awful and rough - so I feel your pain! And you are right, it can only go UP! :)