Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Thursday, August 11

I think I got the hang of this...




A wise woman and fabulous new mother once told me what her first few months of motherhood were like. She told me that it doesn't come easily and it definitely doesn't happen overnight but instead it's a daily progression and some days you find yourself saying, "oh I got this" followed by a day here and there where you gasp, "what the hell am I doing??". Then the next day you say to yourself, "man, I got this!" And so on and so forth. This morning as I was breast-feeding Austin in one arm and putting his clothes away with the other, I found myself saying out loud, "oh I got this"! haha. Becky was right. Some days are harder than others and then days like today when you have fed the baby 3 times, bathed the baby, gotten you and the baby dressed, gone shopping downtown with your mom, and fixed lunch for you and your husband all by 11am..... you want to climb to the top of a mountain wearing a SuperMom cape and shout, "I GOT THIS!"

This week Austin brought so much joy to our lives. He has been smiling quite often and although it might be 100% gas, we like to think it's our hilarious banter and silly faces. He is very wide-eyed and alert and we finally are getting to see a lot more of those dark blue eyes. He's really strong and fights hard with his big ole head to hold it up. Looks like we lucked out with a very happy baby and he spends most of the day staring at fans, discovering his hands and fingers, hiccuping and sleeping. He has taken to breast-feeding really well and sleeps from 11-5am at night, wakes up to feed and than goes right back to sleep even if you lay him in the crib awake he will close his eyes after a few minutes and go to sleep as long as he has his paci to soothe him. This makes for one happy mommy!!!! Ever since we got into a good routine I have been getting a lot more sleep and have stopped napping (and started scrapbooking). He has made it through 2 church services and many meals at restaurants like a champ... sleeping the entire time. He loves walks in his stroller, listening to his daddy play the guitar, walking in his Baby Bjorn, and baths! We are still trying to figure out who he favors but we have decided for now he will just have to "look like Austin" since he is not a dead ringer for either of us... but you can be the judge.


No comments: