Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Friday, March 26

MARCH 30, 2010: MORE HOME RENOVATIONS

I know, I know...We said after the kitchen was finished we wouldn't do another big project for at least a year...we lied. I think Zach and I might be addicted to home renovations, HGTV, and improving the 121 year old home we live in. We have been so busy and I am proud of us for slowly checking things off the grand to-do list, item by item. They range from changing light bulbs (give me a break- with 12' ceilings this can be a huge ordeal) to re-landscaping the yard to building a book-case wall in the study. As you can tell the list ranges from Easy to Moderate to Holy cow what have we gotten ourselves into! Next weekend is when the big adventure will really get underway. Here is what we have on the schedule:
We cleared the study
Zach repaired, sanded, and painted the trim

1. Zach's study/library total overhaul. (Specs: 24'L x 20'W x 12'T) This is the one room downstairs that has unfinished hardwood floors. It is the front grand parlor that has windows looking out onto the front porch and 2 windows looking out to the side yard. When Zach was growing up, the Jexes used it as a storage space for bikes, tools, etc. I originally thought that was a absurd waste of one of the most impressive view in the home however after living here without a garage I am starting to understand the logic behind that decision (especially with kids!) It was home of our leather couches, office desk, and antique bar cabinet but now it is empty and ready for it's big overhaul. The plan: floors are getting refinished in April, Zach has been working hard with wood filler and the hand sander to refinish old mouldings from another Victorian home that match our mouldings, mouldings will be installed around all windows and the pocket sliding doors, Zach is going to build a book case wall on the South side of the room, and we are selling our brown leather couches and moving our antique settee's in there. The room will become more of a formal study/library. (if only we had an exposed brick wall, my study vision would be complete!)
2. Shay's Powder Room overhaul: (Specs: 3'W x 6' L x 12' T) A much smaller undertaking but I would like to think it is equally as rewarding since every visitor you have is going to have some alone time in this room at some point (maybe multiple alone times if they are drinking beer)! Right now the room is sad! Eggplant painted walls, white PAINTED floor (yeah I know...SAD!), bad lighting, no theme. The vision: a luxurious formal space complete with beautiful patterned wall paper (TBD), a small classic chandelier, tan/gold/cream tile floor (to match the kitchen), and small framed custom artwork (by me). If anyone has any success stories or places they have ordered wallpaper, please share!!

However, one thing is going to prolong the bathroom renovation..this awesome spring weather! So this weekend I am going to head outdoor to revamp the pitiful front flower bed and to paint our brand new rocking chairs white (thanks Papa Jex). Zach and I ate dinner on the front porch in our rocking chairs tonight... it was wonderful!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALICIA, my brother's amazing girlfriend! Can't wait to post some pictures of her opening her gifts!!! There might even be an SJ Original among the pile!!



3 comments:

Lisha said...

seriously...slow down kids! as i write that I know that there is no way to slow you jexes down...so...more power to ya! why don't you come to houston and help me check some of the to do things off my list?

Anita said...

I love to read about your lives and see you doing so well. Sure miss you on the PR side...
Keep the dogs and the house and wait on kids for awhile. We had a lot of life before Landon came along. I would love to catch up.
Anita

"McShane" said...

Seriously girl, I am tired just reading your blog! When do you two sleep???