Life is a test. We are not present on earth to just exist; we are here to learn. Life is a lesson. Love one another unconditionally. Love thyself unconditionally. We spend our whole lives learning to do this. Some succeed and some never have a clue. I'm trying. Love my fellow man. Don't react and don't always have to be right. This is one I'll have to work on for the rest of my life. Appreciate each day and recognize positive and negative as a part of life's experiences. Look around me and see life at it's best. The joys of living come as you strive to achieve your dreams. Its the quality of each day that is important, not the distant dream once achieved. Teach and nurture my children. You can never give them too much love. -Randa Jex 1/1/94

Wednesday, September 29

Winner winner Chicken Dinner

As the temperatures cool off all I can think about is returning home to Natchez and snuggling up with dinner and a movie on the couch with my hubs! My good friend from home posted this recipe on her blog and I cannot wait to make it for my man who has worked so hard over the past 3 months while I have been away for work. He deserves some Comfort Food!!!



Chicken Pot Pie. My friend The Barefoot Contessa knows how to do it.

Ingredients:

3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 Tbs olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock (she says make your own, I sure didn't)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup flour
1/4 heavy cream
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups frozen peas
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley

Cube the chicken breasts and cook in a skillet. Remove from heat.

Heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan dissolving the bouillon cubes. Let simmer over medium heat. In a large pot melt the butter. When the butter is melted, add chopped onion and saute over med-low heat for 15 minutes or until translucent. Slowly add flour to the onions, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the onions and flour and stir until thick. Add 3/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons pepper + heavy cream. Add your cubed chicken, peas, carrots and parsley. Remove from heat.

*I used carrots, corn, and green beans because that's what I had on hand. The more the merrier!
For the Pastry:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs water for egg wash

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in stand mixer with paddle attachment. You can also use a food processor. Add the shortening and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until each pieces is coated with flour. Mix on low speed until the fat is the size of peas. With the mixer running, add the ice water. Only mix until the dough is moistened and just comes together. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Divide the filling among 5 oven safe bowls. Divide the dough into 5 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle large enough to cover the top of one bowl. Place the dough over the bowl and press to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and cut slits in the top. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

*I don't have 5 oven safe bowls so I use a casserole dish and two mini loaf pans. Perfect to freeze and safe for the chilly days to come.

No comments: